Relax. You deserve it, it’s good for you, and it takes less time than you think. It might surprise you to learn that biological stress is a fairly recent discovery. It wasn’t until the late 1950s that endocrinologist Hans Selye first identified and documented stress. Symptoms of stress existed long before Selye, but his discoveries led to new research that has helped millions cope with stress.
10 Relaxation Techniques That Zap Stress Fast:
1. Listen to music – If you’re feeling overwhelmed by a stressful situation, try taking a break and listening to relaxing music.
2. Meditate – It’s simple. Sit up straight with both feet on the floor. Close your eyes. Focus your attention on reciting — out loud or silently — a positive mantra such as “I feel at peace” or “I love myself.”
3. Breathe Deeply – Deep breathing counters the effects of stress by slowing the heart rate and lowering blood pressure.
4. Call a friend – When you’re feeling stressed, take a break to call a friend and talk about your problems. Relationships with friends and loved ones are important to any healthy lifestyle.
5. Talk yourself through it – Just tell yourself why you’re stressed out, what you have to do to complete the task at hand, and most importantly, that everything will be okay.
6. Laugh Out Loud – Laughter releases endorphins that improve mood and decrease levels of the stress-causing hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
7. Drink Tea – A large dose of caffeine causes a short-term spike in blood pressure. It may also cause your hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis to go into overdrive.
8. Exercise – A short walk around the office or simply standing up to stretch during a break at work can offer immediate relief in a stressful situation.
9. Sleep better – Everyone knows stress can cause you to lose sleep. Unfortunately, lack of sleep is also a key cause of stress.
10. Have a chocolate – When you’re stressed, you may be tempted to house every sweet treat in sight.