Indian cuisines are incomplete without the spicy-tinged aroma of ginger. For years scientists have elaborated the advantages of ginger and how this inexpensive herb can be miraculous. Fresh, dried, picked or in the form of juice, ginger is one of those herbs which have some immensely healthy benefits.
Top 10 Ginger Health Benefits
Here are the top ginger health benefits proven by medical studies:
- Respiratory Rescue: It is used from treating allergies and having it regularly can prevent respiratory ailments like asthma and bronchitis. A teaspoonful of ginger juice can be had with honey for instant relief from a constricted throat.
- Instant Relief From Cough, Cold And Sore Throat: You can replace your favorite tea with some ginger-infused one and see your cold disappear. Fresh ginger juice mixed with honey and fenugreek can also help you get rid of your cold.
- Upset Stomach / Improved Digestion: Some ginger or pluck a few sprigs of mint leaves and steep in boiling water for a few minutes and enjoy with a spoonful of raw honey to subdue a bellyache.
- Headaches/Migraines: To use the 3 herbs together in tea as a natural pain reliever, mix a one inch piece of ginger with a teaspoon of dried peppermint and a pinch of cayenne in boiling water. Allow the mixture to seep for 15 minutes before drinking. Sweeten only with honey or stevia.
- Blood Pressure: The effects of ginger on blood pressure is quiet positive. Some of those positive effects on high blood pressure include fewer blood clots and lowering of cholesterol levels. The chances of heart attacks and strokes are also lowered since the ginger helps in preventing the blood clots.
- Toothache: Try rubbing raw ginger into the gums or boil the ginger root, letting it cool and using it as a mouth rinse.
- Cancer: Did you know that candied ginger health benefits included protection against certain types of cancer? Fresh ginger which is one of the main components of ginger has been found to hinder the growth of certain cells of cancer.
- Asthma: One benefit of using this concoction with a little bit of black pepper can help in decreasing the effects of asthma. It promotes the flow of oxygen to the lungs and helps in relaxing the blood vessels present in the lungs.
Best Ways to Use Ginger
There are many forms and ways you can use ginger to benefit for your health. The most common forms of ginger include:
- Raw Ginger — You can put raw sliced ginger (the size of your thumb) in a smoothie every morning or use it in making homemade vegetable juice.
- Ginger Essential Oil — The most potent form of ginger is ginger essential oil because it contains the highest levels of fresh ginger. This is the No. 1 way ginger can be used as medicine. It can be taken internally to treat health conditions or rubbed topically with a carrier oil on an area of pain. Typically, two to three drops of essential oil is the recommended therapeutic dose.
- Ginger Tea — This liquid form of ginger is commonly used to relieve nausea, settle the stomach and relax the body. Have one cup two to three times daily to reduce inflammation. Also, adding a bit of raw honey and lemon to the tea makes it taste great!
- Ginger Powder — Using ground ginger powder for cooking is an excellent way to take advantage of this super spice. I use it in making Chicken Curry, homemade pumpkin pie and a ginger berry smoothie for breakfast. Also, it can be taken in supplement form as a capsule with the recommended dose of 1,000 milligrams daily.