There are many food sources that have been debated over the years as to whether or not they’re helpful or harmful to human health from eggs and dairy to alcohol and caffeine. You can add mustard oil to that list. Mustard oil has had a tough go at it for some time, considered toxic to humans for a long time.
Fats, oil seeds and nuts play an important role in our diets. Mustard oil is a type of fat, which is extracted from mustard seeds through pressing of seeds and is filtered using the distillation process. Mustard oil has got a typical pungent and sharp flavour that is because of the presence of a compound called Allyl Isothiocyanate. This oil has about 60% monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), 21% polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) and about 12% saturated fats. A higher amount of MUFA and PUFA distinguishes it from other types of fats. These fatty acids are also called “good fats” as they do not get deposited on arterial walls. Mustard oil contains Glucosinolate, which basically works against microbes and adds on to the oil’s health benefits.
Some of the featured benefits are as follows:
- Mustard oil reduced the risk of Cardio vascular diseases by 70 percent, so mustard oil cuts down the risk of heart diseases if used in moderation by lowering cholesterol levels within the body.
- Mustard oil is known as a stimulant and helps the intestine to produce digestive juices, which increase the peristaltic movement of the food, and hence the digestion process.
- This oil has a particular type of phytonutrient that fights against Colo rectal and Gastrointestinal Cancers.
- The antibacterial and anti fungal properties work well against rashes and skin infections. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in easing the condition of Irritable bowel syndrome by reducing the inflammation in lining of the stomach.
- Also mustard oil has proved useful in relieving cold and cough, when applied onto chest or inhaled for its strong aroma, it helps in removing phlegm from the respiratory tract.
- Mustard oil is used as a famous massaging agent for infants as well as grownups. For infants, it improves weight, length, mid arm and mid leg circumferences. It gives rejuvenation and lustre to skin
- This beneficial oil has got high levels of Vitamin E, which helps the skin from ageing and against wrinkles.
- Mustard oil is commonly used for massaging the hair scalp as well.
- It has an added advantage of relieving pain especially in case of Arthritis; it helps in easing joint pain and proves to be an elixir of life to people in this condition.
- Mustard oil is effective in removing tan and dark spots to give you a naturally glowing skin.
- Mustard oil stimulates the sweat glands and opens the pores of the skin.
- Mustard oil is a great remedy for dry chapped lips when lip balms or chap sticks prove to be ineffective.
- Mustard oil is effective in preventing premature greying and darkens your hair naturally.
- Mustard oil is considered a natural remedy for asthma and sinusitis. In case of an asthma attack, massaging the chest with brown mustard oil instead of the usual vapor rubs can give relief as breathing in the vapor improves airflow to the lungs.